Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My first meeting with Kelly Starrett

After going from non-crossfitter to rabid crossfitter in a matter of a few months during 2009, my 40 year-old body started to rebel. I was getting stronger, and better conditioned, but I had ignored my mobility and flexibility and I was beating myself up. There were not enough cold tubs, epsom soaks, or massages that I could do to stem the horrible pain that I was walking around with.

So as fate would have it, my company has a big conference in the SF area each year - and I decided to make it a combination trip. I went to the conference, dropped in at SF Crossfit, and also set myself up with a session with Kelly Starrett to look over my sore shoulder.

If was nothing short of a life-changing experience for me. In the course of the hour, I learned that my poor range of motion was causing me to be in bad positions when lifting overhead, and if I did not work on my mobility, I would either hurt myself or never see any improvements. I hated both options. Kelly also used everything from a lacrosse ball, dog toy, foam roller, his foot fist and elbow on me to loosen up some bad business.

Before the hour was up I was cold and shivering. Kelly noted that I was going into shock from all of the abuse he was handing out. That's cool I said. Believe me, it is hard to be nonchalant when you are shivering and going into shock.

But as I emerged from my condition, everything clicked. Mobility was my key to improved performance. I may get stronger and better conditioned, but my weakness was limited range of motion and movement inefficiency. Better form would equal better performance.

I had the mobility bug. Not long afterwards, Kelly started the MWOD video series. 365 videos covering almost anything you could want to see. He is literally giving it away.

So get some.


No comments:

Post a Comment