Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Moss back solution

First of all; bonus points if any one caught my reference to the WSJ tech columnist in my title.

But now on to more serious matters. Jeremy writes:

MarkyD - my back is feeling compressed from heavy jerks, back squats and clean and jerks this week. Any recommendation on something to unload the spine a little?

Answer: I have been there. Seems like hanging upside down like a bat for a week might be the right fix.

But I have something else in mind. We are going to work upstream and downstream of the hot area and see what happens. And yes, this is pure voodoo/ genius. Or not. The system of muscles in your back goes from neck to hamstrings, and creating some slack anywhere along the way will reward you throughout the whole system, cause it is all connected.

My rx is 2 parts. First neck and then glutes. Do these slowly. No jerking motions. Stretch as far as you can. If it feels just a bit wrong, then I bet you are doing it right. Numbness or burning will tell you to shut it down.

Neck - watch the video below and stretch the neck in many planes. Front/back:


side to side - note, sometimes as I gently pull my head to one side, I make a fist with the other arm and slowly reach towards the ground:


and lastly - left to right. No video. But rotate slowly. Look all the way left, and then all the way right. You are an owl.

Now jump down and do some pigeon stretch.


The combination of creating slack in the neck and then the glutes/hips will give your back a real break.



No comments:

Post a Comment